Sunday, July 22, 2018

A New Quilt From Start to Finish - Chapter 6 Borders

I started this quilt, Cattail Mixer (more creative name to come), last February at Quiltworx University in Bakersfield. I've been posting each step along the way from Design and Coloring on Quiltster, to Assembly Line Paper Piecing, completing the Center Star, and Appliqueing the Cattails. I am closing in on completing the final papers. Then starts the last chapter - assembly.

Since this quilt is a mixer, I got to choose from several different borders. There is an inner border, an outer border, and the outermost border. All the borders have millions of pieces! Last week I was at a retreat at Quiltworx in Somers Montana, and I spent some time (lots of time) doing border pieces.  I got really good at assembly line paper piecing. I keep thinking I ought to count the pieces in case I want to give a smart a** response when someone asks me how many pieces are in the quilt. I still might do that.













I put part of the outer border together to get an idea of how it was going to look, and I think it rocks! Now I just have to assemble more border sections and then work on the outermost border. Borders, Borders, Borders!


I'm getting close, I can almost taste the final assembly. I love the mixer quilts and can't wait to start another one - after I finish this one (she says, with her fingers crossed).


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!