Sunday, June 23, 2024

Seeing Quilting Through New Eyes

 This past year I have been fortunate enough to find a second Love after the passing of my husband Saul in 2020. Having Brian in my life has brought many marvelous feelings and experiences. One I didnt really expect was the childlike wonder he displayed when first being introduced to the world of quilting.


I am so immersed in this world that things tended to go stale at times and I am not even aware of it. Fabric, patterns, guild meetings, quilt shows, quilt shops, quilt museums and sewing techniques were all beginning to be a bit routine. Not any more!

Brian has so many questions, so much curiousity, so much wonder. It is SOOOO refreshing!

He has all the firsts under his belt now - at least I think so. There still may be more activities that I take for granted that will be the inspiration for more questions. I am asking his opinion now about fabrics, colors, patterns, and topics for this blog (the topic of new eyes was my idea, not his). We even joke that if we ever break up, he'll know where to go to meet women (quilt guilds). It's opened a whole new world for him, and reopened my eyes to the wonder of quilting. 

So many of us quilters have grandkids that fill this role, but if you don't, find someone to introduce to quilting - young or old, man or woman. It doesnt matter. Their sense of wonder will increase or revive your sense of wonder in this womderful art we share.

Keep yourself curious


  

1 comment:

  1. I so agree with you! Someone who shows an interest in what I make might hear more than they wanted to hear, but the questions just make me excited about my passion for quilting all over again.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!