Monday, November 26, 2012

Big Stitch Quilting

One of the themes for this year is COMPLETION.  I have been working pretty diligently on finishing up quilts started many years ago.  This wall hanging, called simply "Fall", is one of the ones I decided to finish. 
    I think I started the quilt in a basic quilt making class - I don't even remember now where or when.  The pattern is from the book Backyard Treasures by Kansas Troubles.  Then quite a few years later (again I don't remember - there is a case here for better quilt documentation!) I took a class at Prairie Point from Linda Potter on what she called then Qwik Stitch Quilting. Since then Linda has changed the name and wrote a book about the technique. It is really cool - embellishing with big stitches, beads and quilting at the same time. So when I took the class I decided to use my Fall wall hanging as a practice piece for the big stitch quilting.  
    This year when I brought the wall hanging out to finish, it was about 2/3 done. I found some beautiful #12 purl cotton when I was in Seattle and it was just what I needed to finish this wall hanging.

    It was quite a learning process. I did some straight lines (with both regular stitches and long and short stitches), curves and swirls, and french knots, and . In some of the sections I got sort of carried away and did probably too much quilting. The section with the acorns was one of these. I ended up taking the stitching out (very easy to do with the big stitch) and just doing a simple shadow effect on each of the acorns. I think this looks much better.  

    I really enjoyed the big stitch and will certainly use it again on something. Perhaps a mix of big stitch and regular machine quilting! But for now the wall hanging is finished and hanging on the wall of my studio.
Curious about new techniques!
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!