Monday, April 13, 2015

It's Almost Time for the Quilt Show!

Four months sure went by fast! The Kaw Valley Quilters' Guild Annual Quilt Show is this Saturday and Sunday and I'm almost ready.

I have the privilege to be this year's featured quilter. Over the last several months I have felt excited, scared, overwhelmed, frustrated, ready, not ready and absolutely exhausted. Tonight I am excited and exhausted.

In the morning I am leaving for LA on a short trip, and I'll get back on Friday afternoon just in time for final set up.  Thankfully my friend Shari is hanging the majority of my quilts for me. 

I'm hanging 15 quilts and then showing 9 more that we didn't have space for (but really I didn't have time to sew on a hanging sleeve). Then I'm doing something a little different - at least I think it's different.





I'm going to show and talk about some UFOs. When people display quilts at a show, we see beautiful, finished quilts, and then I usually assume that the featured quilter has it all together - all their quilts represent a theme, they are all perfectly finished, including labels and documentation.  OK, so maybe they aren't as "perfect" as I am imagining. But it sure looks that way.

I plan on showing the more everyday, human side of quilting - the early practice pieces, the "can't wait to start" but don't finish quilts, the not so beautiful quilts, they are the ones I'm most excited about. I'll also have a display of some workshop projects that I'll eventually finish. I have learned so much about quilting over the last several years, and I've learned a lot about myself and life.

So, I'm still working on the details, I'm sure I will be down to the wire (like a lot of quilters). I'll be giving a short talk at 1:00 on both Saturday and Sunday. I'll be at the Mea Bernina table on Saturday and hanging around with my quilts on Sunday. So please come down to the show at Crown Toyota and visit with me. I'm sooooo excited!  





 

3 comments:

  1. I attended your presentation on Sunday and you did a SUPER job, Denise! Thanks for all of your efforts. Delightful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attended the quilt show and your presentation on Sunday. You did a great job, Denise!!! Thanks for all of your time and efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much. It was so much fun and I think it really helped me to think about my quilting. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!