Saturday, March 10, 2018

My Favorite Designers - Chapter 2 Ricky Tims

I jabbered all through dinner with my family about Ricky Tims' Luminarium that I just got home from. I'm full of wonder and speechless too. Full of ideas and inspiration. Full of gratitude for Ricky's generosity - he is willing to share all he has learned. His story, his music, and his quilts.



In addition to yards of gorgeous hand-dyed fabric and music CDs, I came home with a complete and useful syllabus of all Ricky's techniques. I'm psyched. I want to try it all - and Ricky knew I would. His last words to the 175 of us in the audience (although I was in the front row and I thought he was talking just to me), was to go home and before we start something new, we should finish something. I've got some binding to finish, so that should fit the bill.

OK, so why is Ricky one of my favorite designers? Let me count the ways!

  • The Quilt Show - I've been a subscriber for many years and I love it. I've started/done 4 BOMs and I really enjoy the shows.
  • Patterns - or rather I should say techniques, that lead the quilter through a process to design beautiful one of a kind quilts.
  • Hand-dyed fabrics that look like suede and have a wonderful hand to them.
  • Music that both soothes and elevates the soul.
  • He is nice, generous, talented. Oh, and by the way, soooo cute.

I've made one of Ricky's Convergence Quilts. I call it Kaffe Fassett meets Ricky Tims. I used Kaffe's fabric with Ricky's Convergence Pattern. It really is an easy pattern with lots of impact. I can see lots more of these in my future. I bought some of Ricky's hand-dyed fabrics that will look great in this pattern.


My next Ricky technique will be the Kool Kaleidoscope. I'm going to start this one in April when things slow down a bit and I finish a few things. I'm also getting on the list to go to LaVeta in 2019 for a small group retreat with Ricky. Can't wait!

The quilts, fabri
cs, and music are spectacular. But the real impact comes from his inspirational words and ideas: time is precious, carpe diem, quilting should be fun, know yourself, if you want to be a quilter - then get out there and just do it.

If you have a chance to go to one of Ricky's workshops, lectures or retreats, run, do not walk, to sign up. It will be well worth it.
Carpe Diem and Keep Curious!

1 comment:

  1. Soooo...happy that you enjoyed Ricky Tims!! I fell in love with his talent and wonderful ability to entertain and enthuse his Quilting fans!! I have watched him for years on The Quilt Show and we didn’t even get to talk about The Quilt Show during our intense week in Bakersfield, did we?? And now, in addition to Judy Niemeyer’s patterns and a mutual admiration for Tula, we also have Ricky Tims’ hand dyed fabrics, his
    Kool Kaleidoscope book and oh yes.... I bet you have a drawer full of Stable Stuff Poly in your fabric stash, too! It’s a big world but I am not sure I have ever met a another quilter who shares my taste in quilts and fabrics as much as The Curious Kansas Quilter! Miss you!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!