Friday, April 11, 2014

The Ultimate Learning Quilt - Stitcher's Garden #1

I am about to put the binding on the largest quilt I've ever made - 90x100 inches! Not only is it large in size, it's also large in learning. Stitcher's Garden is a block of the month quilt I teach at Mea Bernina. I've been working on this sample for over a year and I thought it might be interesting to write about everything I've learning while making this monster quilt.



My first lesson was how difficult it was to choose fabrics for the entire quilt at the beginning. I learned through this process that I am more like a design-as-I-go type of piecer. I had trouble visualizing all the different blocks and how they would look together. I do like the final result, but I was uncertain until I saw it all together. I'm not always going to be required to choose everything before starting, but it was a good learning opportunity for me. Actually, today I chose fabric for a new BOM we'll be offering - again, having to pick everything at the beginning. It's still a challenge, but getting easier. 


In month One I experienced prequilting an applique background for the first time. I started out somewhat conservative and used black thread to match the solid black background fabric. if I were to do it over, I would use variegated thread or a bright color to prequilt the background. I'm going to try to remember pre-quilting as a possible technique for future quilts.

Since this is a mostly applique quilt, I had the opportunity to experiment with different paper backed fusible products.  I tried Light Steam-A-Seam 2, Pellon's WonderUnder. and OESD's Fuse & Fix.  My favorite appears to be Light Steam-A-Seam 2.  I like that it is on 9 x 11 sheets (more manageable) and in a sealed envelope (stays fresher). However, occasionally I got a "bad batch" where the paper released before I was ready or the fusible didn't stick well. Since Light Steam-a-Seam 2 has been out of production (see an update here) I've been using WonderUnder on the roll. It's OK but I tend to stuff it into my work storage tub and it gets all wrinkled. As soon as Steam-A-Seam comes in I'll switch back.

More about what I learned in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!