Friday, December 23, 2016

Fabric Bowls - Possibly a New Addiction

I've always loved those fabric wrapped coiled clothesline bowls. I've got bowl envy - big time. My Pinterest "Fabric Bowl" board is full of bowls of various colors and sizes, and most exciting for me - handles. I love handles!

So if you want to join the bowl craze, here is what you'll need:
  •  Fabric - make it scrappy or use just one or two coordinating fabrics. I've used both batiks and quilting cotton. Batiks tend not to ravel as much. I cut my strips 3/4 inch wide. You can also use jelly roll strips or Fat Quarters if you want.
  • Lots of thread.
  •  Fabric glue - I like Roxannes Glue Baste-It.
  •  A few pins.
  •  A few Clover Clips.
  • Clothesline - 3/16th inch cotton or cotton-poly clothesline. Something not too stiff or too soft. You can find it at your LQS as well as your local hardware store, or big box discount store.
  • Machine capable of doing a zigzag stitch and one that has some piercing power. My Bernina had no problems getting through fabric and clothesline.
  • A 90/14 sharp needle.
There are several good tutorials out there, so I won't go into a lot of details on the how-to. There are also a few books available. I own this one - It's A Wrap.  Just know that it takes some practice getting the sides of your bowl at the angle you want. It's basically a matter of wrap, coil, sew, repeat. The wrapping takes the most time, but its a good TV watching activity.







I've made three bowls so far - one for our Sassy Strippers Club at Mea Bernina, one for my living room to hold potpourri, and a little bitty one to hold my cards at an upcoming show of some of my quilts (more to come about that). I've made each one a different shape and size and am experimenting with different handles. I'm also playing a bit with buttons and other embellishments. So, now I have a reason to look at awesome buttons when I'm out shopping.

I'm curious about all the various shapes and handles I can make! How about you?



2 comments:

  1. I would love to get better at rope wrapping, just wonder if wrapping quie a long piece of rope before begining to construct the basket ?? Has any one attempted this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done both a long piece of rope and more wrap as I go. It worked well either way. But I do think wrapping a bit, then sewing a bit helps keep the wraps tighter.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!