Tuesday, January 30, 2018

3D Blocks Wallhanging

Update - Five and a half years later - I finished this wall hanging back in 2015 and thought you might like to see the finished product (I actually do finish things).
D


Original post from 2012:  
     I love taking classes. I always learn so much from the teacher as well as the other students. I get to see projects in colors that I wouldn't normally use and it inspires me to maybe try something different next time.
    Today I took a class at Stitching Traditions in Topeka. The teacher, Kathy Pflaum, was wonderful with all her tips and tricks for success. She will be teaching a year-long color and design class starting in October. I'm checking my calendar to see if I can swing it.
    These blocks are built up in layers  - there is no piecing and in fact, very little sewing. Each layer is folded into either a rectangle, square, triangle or other shape and attached by stitching around the outside of a base block.  A good hot iron and some sizing or pressing agent is useful to get nice crisp folds. I finished these 2 in class and hope to finish another one tonight.  This could get addicting!
    The book 3D Folded Blocks is by Geeseje Baron and Esther Vermeer - check out their website.   

Still Curious in Kansas!
D


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!