Saturday, January 13, 2018

Fair Isle Winter - A 2017 BOM by Reeze Hanson

I started this beauty last January. Every year, the talented Reeze Hanson of Morning Glory Designs offers us a free BOM. After seeing Fair Isle Winter, I jumped on that wagon and took off.  I love the blue and decided on a pale yellow for the background. I guess I'm channeling my inner Swede on this one. 



Most of the blocks are foundation pieced - one of my favorite techniques - with some cool applique shapes in the corners of the blocks.

I've loved collecting blue batiks - everything from true blue to blue-green, blue with lavender, teal, and turquoise. So many beautiful fabrics out there.

I have almost kept current on this one - well, better than other BOMs - I'm on month 8 and am catching up quickly. I made a boo-boo and used a dark blue where I was supposed to use a yellow background. I decided there were too many seams to take out so I would leave it the way it was - Sorry Reeze, I added a new design element to block 8.

There are 13 sashing blocks that I want to start on next. I've pinned the blocks on my design wall so that I can decide which blues to use for the sashing. At this point I'm thinking of a true blue - or an aqua?

The BOM ends in a month when Reeze sends out the last block. Each of the previous blocks is available on  her website for $5. Next month, they will all be gone, but the entire pattern will be available. If you want a foundation piecing challenge with a series of gorgeous blocks and an unusual setting, then Fair Isle Winter is for you.

Curious about Reeze Hanson? Check her out! You'll love her stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!