Friday, January 26, 2018

Quilts of Valor - The Gift of Comfort and Healing

Quilts of Valor - just the name of this group give me goosebumps. QOV is an organization that makes and donates quilts to service members and veterans touched by war. I'm tearing up just thinking about service members and the sacrifices they made and continue to make. 

These women and men are like my extended family as I too served in the military (US Army 1979-1995). I never had to go to a shooting war - the cold war was my war - but I trained, prepared, deployed on training exercises, and prepared my family as best I could to function while I was away. This was basically the reason I retired early - I have 2 sons, one of whom has autism, and I did not feel comfortable leaving them for long periods of time. This picture was taken at Signal Corps Basic Course, where I was a TAC Officer (mentor) for new Lieutenants. Geez was I young and thin! Anyway, I digress.

Kaw Valley Quilters Guild (KVQG), my local guild, has a group of 7 women who make and donate quilts regularly to QOV. The donation ceremony is very meaningful for them. They see their quilts received and cherished by local service members. So far they have donated 25 quilts in 2 years.


I made a quilt that will be donated to QOV - it is a Courthouse Steps pattern done in red, cream, and blue with appliqued stars. QOV quilts do not have to be red, white and blue, but many are.






Dan, my ex-husband and father of my sons, flew Cobra helicopters in Vietnam and commanded a helicopter battalion in Desert Storm. He is a proud aviator, soldier and veteran, so I nominated him to receive a quilt on the QOV website. He received his quilt last November on Veterans Day. Here he is with his wife Linda (left) and Barbara (right), the San Antonio TX QOV Coordinator.

There are lots of ways to get involved - ask your local guild or check out the QOV Website. If you don't feel up to making a whole quilt, you can donate money or fabric, or you can make a single block - see the QOV 2018 Block Drive

Curious about QOV? Learn more on the QOV Website

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!