Friday, January 18, 2013

A Studio That Works - Plastic or Personality?

When I think about my studio, the first word that comes to mind is organization. That's always been a favorite word as well as concept - I like things organized. I tend to evaluate things based on how well organized they are - events, people, rooms, patterns, etc.  
Yesterday and Monday I was lucky to have presented (with Jerry V. and Becky M - Thanks!) the program for the Kaw Valley Quilters' Guild - a program on Studio Organization - or more precisely - Studios: Where Women Create.  Based on some comments from guild members, I think it went over well.  I was so inspired by the women and their spaces we visited to prepare for the program. 

I went into this process leaning mostly toward organization - tidiness, a place for everything, functionality. I still think that stuff is important. In the presentation I acknowledged the importance of inspiration, creativity, the soul-full aspect of a creative space. I mean I understand these elements, but I'm not sure MY studio has these elements.  Have I sacrificed inspiration for organization? Has plastic triumphed over passion? Or do I need simplicity, empty walls, containerized and covered storage so that I don't get overwhelmed? 

I've really tried in the last few years to get rid of extraneous "stuff" so that the space I have can be home to the things I really love.  In my studio I need tools and  room to design, plan, cut, sew, and press my work in progress. And I need space to store my fabric, notions, and patterns.
I feel I have done that - OK, but not spectacularly.  Part of me thinks I would like to have jars of threads arranged by color - oh so beautiful. Instead I have plastic stack-ables keeping thread together by thread weight and purpose. Not so pretty but it works better for me. 

So I guess I am having some Studio Angst. Do I want a studio out of the pages of a magazine, or do I want a studio that works for ME? 
Both? OK, if I have to choose, I will choose one that works for me. At this point, it mostly works for me.

 There is a desk to sit and think/work at; an adequate cutting table with drawers for storage.


My over-sized pressing table allows ample room for pressing as well as fabric lay-out.  The book shelf and large filing cabinet in the closet hold patterns, instructions, inspiration and ideas.

Thankfully, I have an extra closet where my fabric lives in plastic stack-ables and tubs to protect them from light and dust.  

I have a portable and adequate design wall that works, but is not exactly what I want. The traffic flow (and possibly even feng shui) is not great. I would like new paint and carpet. The lighting could be better too.  I have a lot of beading supplies that I am not ready to part with, but that is taking up prime real estate in my studio - I should probably find a better home for them.  I also have a beautiful chest that my Dad (who passed away 5 years ago today) made to hold my cross stitch supplies and patterns.

    So, my studio is functional with room for improvement. Goals for this year: (1) make the improvements needed for functionality, (2) add a few personal, inspirational touches that proclaim my personality, (3) and remember it's not so much the space that's as important as what happens there!
Curious in my studio,
Denise




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!