Saturday, January 19, 2013

Color and Design Class Project #3 - Complementary Colors

I love the 3rd Saturday of the month, because that's when I get to go to Stitching Traditions in Topeka and take the Color and Design class from Kathy Pflaum. What a treat! My mind is all a-whirl when I leave there with all sorts of colors, designs, various media options. Kathy and my classmates are amazing!


This month our assignment was to use complementary colors from the color wheel.  Since I had so many red-violet fabrics from last month, I decided to to stay with that color and add its complement yellow-green.



One of the techniques on my bucket list is to add some prairie points a-la Susan Cleveland. It was really easy using Susan's prairie pointer tool.  The hardest part was getting the points all lined up in the seams.

Since we discussed implied texture and actual texture in our last class, I decided to add shell beads to the tips of the points, giving the prairie points even more texture. The quilting seemed obvious to me - just follow the lines of the prairie points.


Son Jim takes a look and pronounces that my wall hanging looks like a dragon's back or tail - so now I have a cool name for the quilt - "Dragon's Tail".

This wall hanging will go into the mini quilt auction to benefit local Lawrence charities at our annual quilt show on April 6-7.

Always curious in class!
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!