Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Borders - Decisions, Decisions!


For the 4th project in my color and design class, I made a Ricky Tims' Convergence Quilt with Kaffe Fassett fabrics in the analogous complementary colors of  red, red-orange, orange and blue-green. Now comes the borders and I am stymied. Ricky's book offers several ideas, but I am having trouble visualizing how the borders will either complement or detract from the quilt.

I tried pinning fabric swatches to my design wall, but I just couln't seem to get a good visual. I just got EQ7 and I should be able to mock up my quilts using this software, but I'm just learning how to use it and I'm not there yet. So, I decided to try something I am very comfortable with - PowerPoint!

I really didn't want to spend time scanning in fabrics, so I just filled blocks with colors that approximate my fabrics.   Ricky's book shows blocks of fabrics used for the convergence center used again in the borders - so I tired it with 2 different rotations:
opposites                                  and                         like on like
           








Then I used tried and true black with some stripes of my fabrics and I loved it. So, this is what my Complex Complementary Convergence Quilt will look like!


Next I'll play with binding.

Curious about color!
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!