Friday, January 20, 2017

Houston Class #3 - Wool Applique with Catherine Redford

As you can tell by most of the pictures in my blog, I like modern, colorful quilts.  In the past I've been able to resist the temptation of wool applique because most of the patterns were very traditional or primitive in style. Not so anymore.

The new trend in wool applique is whimsical, colorful, and full of wonderful embellishments. So, count me in! 

I've had my eye on Sue Spargo's work for a couple of years now. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to take classes from her.  So it was lucky for me that Catherine Redford was teaching wool applique among other things in Houston.

Our kits included wool, cotton, applique threads, and embellishment threads to make a little needle case like this one. I'm not finished yet, but I am really enjoying it. It's refreshing to be able to applique without having to prepare the applique pieces. That's the beauty of wool!

Catherine's pieces are awesome and she is a great teacher. She also teaches beading and embroidery embellishments.  To see more of her work, check out her website.



While at Houston, I bought a wonderful wool applique pattern by Australian quilter Wendy Williams. Round the Garden is quite an ambitions project, but I'm itching to start on it. I bought a piece of linen for the background and have begun collections wool felt for the applique.




Look for updates on Round the Garden later this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!