Thursday, January 5, 2017

Magic Squares - Thank You Sara Chappell

So, I have my guild friend Sara Chappell to thank for my increasing stripe stash. Stripes are wonderfully versatile - they make great bindings, an accent fabric, or borders. But my favorite way to use stripes is what I call magic squares. I'm not exactly sure where that name came from, but I do think its's absolutely MAGIC!

There is more magic if the stripped fabric is wild and doesn't repeat too often. Two color fine stripes don't make any magic at all.  Stripes with multiple colors, sizes, and shapes make wonderful magic!

Here is how the magic happens - 

  • Layer 2 layers of matching fabric - matching so that both layers are identical (sort of like a stack and whack)
  • Cut a strip any size you want depending on how often the stripes repeat - anywhere from 4 to 6 inches wide and at least twice as long.
  • Cut the strip into squares
  • Draw a line diagonally from corner to corner.
  • Sew a seam .25 inches from the each side of the line.
  • Cut apart on the line. Press
  • You should have 2 matching half square triangles.
  • Make 2 more if you want 4 for a square.
  • Keep making more, using a different cut of fabric so that your squares are not all the same.
They can be put together in squares or partial squares like I did, or in rows, or randomly.

I've only made 1 so far and it sold at an arts and crafts fair, so I am dying to make some more and play with different layouts.



I'm curious about what you do with your striped fabric! Let me know.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!