Sunday, September 2, 2012

Ruth Powers - Fantastic Quilter / Artist in a Terrific Studio Space

    In preparation for the KVQG January program, Jerrye and I made a trip south of Topeka near Burlingame to visit the quilting studio of Ruth Powers, one of our guild members.

    My first thought was WOW . . . as well as my second thought and my third thought. Wow, Wow, Wow! Ruth is what I call an art quilter - pardon me Ruth if I have too narrowly or incorrectly characterized your work. Ruth pieces quilts that look so realistic that they could be photos - but they are better than photos with her subtle use of pattern and color in the fabrics she chooses. This quilt (above) is on her website - isn't it fantastic? She also creates and sells her patterns - check it out here. Ruth teaches classes at Stitching Traditions in Topeka - I'm definitely going to sign up. 

  Ruth's studio is both calm and vibrant. She uses antique pieces to store patterns, books, thread and other necessities in. The antiques give the room a wonderful softness.
     I love how she uses colorful threads in a typesetters tray as wall art. Right outside the window are bird feeders and while we were there an oriel treated us to a show.
    What a treat! Thanks so much Ruth. I can't wait to take one of your classes.
Always your curious quilter,
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!