Thursday, December 18, 2014

BOMs Past

Continuing with the theme of BOMs, I thought I would reminisce about the BOMs I have completed. This will be by far the smallest category (past, present and future being the categories). I think there are only 2, no wait 3, actually I found 4 finished BOM quilts, and they have all played a huge role in my quilting experience and education.




The first BOM I did was one of the first quilts I ever made. I started it when I was stationed in Germany in the Army in the late 1980s. I took a quilting class at Rhine Main Air Base to make a sampler quilt. We had the book and we worked through a block a month. It is a very traditional quilt and I used traditional fabrics - which was really all that I could get in Germany in the 80s.  It took about 10 years but I finally finished it.  It was meant for our guest room but my current guest room has bright colors so this quilt hangs on a quilt rack in my hallway.



BOM #2 was an internet BOM that the designer was testing before publishing a book - Moondance by Applewood Farm.  I did this quilt mostly in batiks with a few tone on tones thrown in. This was before I got an obsession about not mixing batiks and cotton prints together (I'm trying to get over that).  Kris Barlow did some outstanding quilting on it, using variegated thread that brings out all the colors.

Quilt #3 was a BOM hosted by Mea Bernina before I started working there. It is an adorable tea pot quilt designed by Linda Topp Durbin (sorry, I can't find any links to this pattern. If anyone wants to borrow it I still have mine). The idea was to use the Bernina Stitch Regulator to sew down the applique edges. I didn't have a BSR at the time, so I fused the applique pieces and used a blind hem stitch to tack the edges down. Denise Mariano did a spot-on job with the quilting, framing each pot nicely.

BOM quilt #4 was Stitcher's Garden - a learning BOM that I teach at Mea Bernina. This quilt pattern features a different technique every month - pin tucking, twin needle, couching, bobbin play, decorative stitching, and circular embroidery. It was so much fun to make as well as to teach. I'm in my forth iteration of teaching it and still love it. I keep thinking about ways to vary it and have done a few blocks in black and white with just a spot of color. Thanks go to Kelly Cline for her amazing quilting on this one. 

Next time I'll catch up on all my current BOM projects - there's a lot of them!
Happy BOMing!





P.S. Isn't it interesting how we can use BOM as a noun, verb and adjective! Grammar geeks - are there any other usages?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!