Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Invasion of UFOs

Those of you who know me well know that I am a starter, not necessarily a finisher. Let the record show that I do occasionally finish quilts and other projects. But I truly do start WAAAAYYYY more than I finish.  I almost never meet a quilt that doesn't call my name - "Denise - you want to make me! Over here - look at me!" 

As a result, I tend to collect UFOs.

What is a UFO? It's a WIP. WIP? Un-Finished Object. Work In Progress.

In my book that means I have actually started cutting the fabric. Perhaps even sewed a few seams. But it also means I have collected all the fabric for a project and have it all stored together (pattern and fabric) in a Sterlite brand plastic storage box from Target (I should have bought stock in Sterlite). WIP also means that I have ruminated on a potential project, maybe collecting some inspiring pictures and fabric swatches. Although there is a clear line between a few inspiring pictures and a WIP, I don't really have the words to describe it, but I know it.

Earlier this year, when my BFF Bobbie was visiting, we inventoried and cataloged my UFOs. In my defense, I did decide to release 3 BOM kits that are just not my style anymore (coming to a garage sale near you).  I also decided to liberated a few projects - filing the patterns and adding the fabric to my stash.

Surely by this time, I had reduced my stack of UFOs quite a bit! Alas, no. When we finished opening all the Sterlite tubs, we had counted and cataloged (in an excel spread sheet) 52 UFOs. By the time I had dug into a few bags and the odd container, we had added an additional 10 projects. To top it off, I've added about 10 more projects since then. 

I did a little prioritization and pulled 8 projects out to finish first.  Just think, if I finish an average of 7 a year it will only take me 10 more years to finish all my UFOs. That's only if I don't start any new ones. As if that's ever gonna happen!

And therein lies the problem - the most exciting part of the whole quilt making process for me is the ruminating, imagining, designing, fabric-buying, Sterlite-filling, direction-reading, cutting and sewing.

I sometimes feel guilty for having so many UFOs - especially when I run into a sewing sister who never starts a new project before completely finished the first project.  I hear my parents and teachers from my childhood saying "You're not a quitter. Finish what you start" and I feel quilty, I mean guilty.  But then I remember how much I love the beginning of making a quilt. I love the end part too -  when I eventually get there. But I really love the starting. It brings me joy! 

So, I've decided - Rejoice in the part I love. Finish what and when I can. Start the projects that call to me. No guilt, just fun!

So, its confession time - how many UFOs do you have?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!