Sunday, March 23, 2014

Creating with Friends - Our Round Robin Challenge

Last week, the bi-monthly gathering of my small quilt group was at my new home.  We had such fun! We got to enjoy my new quilting studio as well as each others' company.

This group of women have been meeting for years, but I just joined them a couple of years ago. They have been friends, creative partners, shopping buddies, teachers, and inspiration. I eagerly look forward to our get-togethers.

Last year, at one of our gatherings, we talked about the various challenges and experiences we wanted to try. Only one of us had participated in a round robin, so we decided we should have a go.

Our "rules":
1. There really are no rules.
2. We each make a block that serves as the inspiration and foundation for the quilt.  We could include any fabric we wanted and then the subsequent quilters could add fabric.
3. We would give ourselves a pen name and a back story.
4. We won't see the progress on our own block until its done.



What an experience! I felt like there was even more pressure to do a good job when you're working on another quilter's quilt. Each block was so different and each addition to it added so much character. We did a variety of piecing, applique, and embellishments. The styles were traditional, fun and funky, and improvisational.


I started with an applique block from a workshop by Kathy Delaney. I knew I would not make the remaining blocks but I wanted to do something with this one, so I thought it would be a good beginning for the round robin.


After six rounds, here is what my block looked like.

I am getting ready to quilt it and will share pics when I get it done. 

I'm curious, what are your experiences with Round Robins? Post a comment and let me know.
Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!