Saturday, March 8, 2014

Sewing While Unpacking

We've been in our new house for 6 weeks now and we're starting to get settled in. I'm working everyday on some part of the house, but it's more fun to work and play in my studio. I'm making a lot of progress with setting up the new space, but I've still got projects that I want to work on. 
Our guild quilt show is next month and I've taken a couple of classes that have homework (!!!!) so I still have to be productive in the chaos. 
I set up my old sewing table (now my desk and beading table) for my Bernina 830 and embroidery module. I've been working on the Tree of Life, a gorgeous embroidered wall hanging of a colorful tree with flowers, critters, swirls and leaves that you can put family members' names on. Teacher Jane is a taskmaster (grin) and has assigned homework to be done before the next class in March.  



I usually keep projects contained in plastic totes, but with all the chaos reigning downstairs, its especially important for me to keep everything together. I don't have a place for things yet and I'm afraid I won't be able to find stuff. So I have all my Tree of Life stuff in a portable tote, including the thread.


This design requires that motifs stitched in one block are continued in another block, so it's very important to make good notes about the thread colors so that I can carry the thread over to the adjacent block. My solution - copy the picture of the block and make notes including color numbers.


I now have one row done and need to finish sewing the row together. Jane's sample was made with a white linen-look background fabric, a classmate is using black and I am using a light blue. I'm curious to see how they look on the different background colors.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!