Tuesday, March 4, 2014

New Studio Step 2 - Sewing Table

I made a wishlist for my new sewing table. I want:
1. Enough space to use my BR 830 with the embroidery module and my BR 440 at the same time.
2. Surrounds for each machine so that I have a smooth, even surface for sewing.
3. Space to support a large quilt while I'm quilting.
4. Some storage space for hoops, needles, bobbins, etc.
5. A table and chair that are the right height for me.
6. Something pretty!

The shop where I work, Mea Bernina, is a dealer for Koala cabinets and tables. We have several in the shop and they are gorgeous! They really fit the bill for everything on my wishlist. There are so many options, that I've spent several weeks going over all the possibilities and I am narrowing in on the table for me.

I thought about getting 2 tables so that I can work on the embroidery machine and sewing machine at the same time. But due to both space and money issues, I've decided against 2 tables. Koala has a large table with 2 lifts. So, the first decision is made - the Koala Dual Mate will hold both machines.

Second item on my list -  I can order a surround to fit each of my machines.

Item #3 - space. The Dual Mate has both left and right side extensions with tops that provide extra space - up to a total of 123 inches! But I can also get an outback extension that nearly doubles the workspace. This outback extension can be raised or lowered depending on what I'm working on and what else I have going on in my studio.

Item #4 - storage. I can order optional shelves that go under both the back and side extensions. I thought about waiting and ordering the shelves later, but I'll save shipping costs if I have them delivered with the main table.

Wishlist item #5 - height. Koala cabinets come in a standard size but each can be ordered either 3 or 6 inches higher. The chairs are very comfortable and really support my back. I haven't had any lower back or shoulder pain while sewing on the tables at the shop. I've sewn on both the 29 inch and 32 inch tables and both feel pretty good. I may need a lift for the foot pedal with the higher table and the extra height costs extra so I think I'll go with the standard 29 inch height. 

Item #6 - these tables are gorgeous! I could go either with the white or the golden teak (third from right in the pic). Hubby's choice is the teak. I'm still thinking about this one. My bookshelves and beading table/cubes are white and my cutting table in progress is white. I have some antique pieces that are oak and sort of golden cherry that actually are really close to the golden teak. Which would you choose?

So, I'm almost at a final decision. Here is what I imagine it will look like. I still need to decide on color. I plan on ordering my very own Koala table next week.  It will be delivered to my home and placed right in my studio. No assembly required!

If you're curious about Koala, check 'em out.
I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments. Chime in!